Craft beverage creators and culinary artisans abound in the East End and we’ll introduce you to a few of our favorites on the East End Artisanal Tasting Tour
Explore India Street!
A short distance from the Old Port, India Street was historically the hub for Portland’s busy tradeport, housing the largest population of immigrants settling there from Europe.
Now Portland’s East End is home to a wealth of restaurants and culinary shops, both modern and cultural favorites. We will visit 4-5 locations over a short walk to offer you a taste of the old and new, the sweet and the savory in this interesting and lively neighborhood.
We’ll start off with your choice of deliciously creative soups made each morning. This is one of Portland’s locally-owned markets supportive of our local farmers, connecting their produce to the community. You’ll see creatively prepared items that fly off the shelves and loads of Maine made specialty foods to take home.
Just next door is one of the oldest family-owned businesses in Portland. You’ll learn how they source their products from their Italian homeland and have supported the culinary cultural heritage of locals since they opened. We enjoy healthy portions of their pillowy, Sicilian pizza which will fill you up til Friday, even if it’s Saturday! (Closed on Sundays, but we have something else in store for you.)
The grandaddy of Maine breweries is up next to sample some award-winning craft brews. No tour is complete without gaining a better understanding of what goes into making beer and why the brewers here in Maine are so darn good! These folks also produce a fine line of fruit sodas as a tasty alternative to beer.
Next we’ll head to one of Portland’s favorite, award-winning bakeries for their version of the Maine whoopie pie. These original Maine treats are loved throughout the state, and this bakery serves up the classic recipe we know you will fall in love with too. Lastly, we will take you for one last special dessert sure to please. We will keep this one a mystery so we don’t give it all away!
- What’s Included: All food and beverage tastings and tour guide. Tips for guides are not included but recommended when you have a great time!
- Who: All ages are welcome
- Capacity: 14 people per tour
- What to Wear: Comfortable clothing and shoes
- Weather conditions: Tour takes place rain or shine
- Where: Tour meets on the corner of India and Commercial Streets (advanced tickets required)
- Note: Maine Foodie Tours donates $1. from the sale of every ticket to a worthwhile Maine charity, and we thank you for your patronage.