Portland: Savor the sights and flavors of historic Munjoy Hill!
# A Neighborhood Revitalized by Food!
Portland’s growing hot spot for new restaurants, distillers, oyster shuckers, brewers, roasters, smokers, bakers, cheesemongers and more is on Munjoy Hill, along Washington Ave. and East Bayside! There are culinary entrepreneurs opening up left and right and this tour visits a rotating variety of the fresh faces and places while highlighting all the culinary pioneers in this newly revitalized area for wining and dining.
This moveable feast will begin at the bottom of Munjoy Hill, across from the historic Eastern Cemetery. You walk will include a tasty combination of foods and beverages such as; hot and flaky galettes, the “real” italian submarine, Maine frites cooked in duck fat, sausage or kale handrolls, and more, each enjoyed with craft beer, craft mead and craft kombucha, topped off with cashew butter ice cream or freshly baked goodies. There is a lot of variety in the area and tour offerings evolve to experience and support the culinary community.
We’ll recommend notable restaurants (open for dinner only) along the route, as you’ll, no doubt, want to return or stay and make a night of it in this neighborhood with additional tastings at several distilleries, restaurants and breweries. There is often live music and outdoor activities to enjoy.
# Details about the Tour
– Appx. 3 hours and a total walk of about a mile.
– Included: All food and beverage tastings associated with the tour and the services of a local tour guide. Tips for your guide are not included but appreciated when you have a great time!
– Visits 5-6 locales
– Who: All ages, as we do visit craft beverage creators (with select non-alcoholic options available) 21+ must have their IDs present
– Weather: Tour takes place rain, snow or shine.
# What to Wear and Where to Meet
– Wear: Comfortable clothing and your walkin’ shoes.
– Where: Tour meets in front of OTTO Pizza at 225 Congress Street *(advanced tickets required)*
#Sensitivities & Dietary Preferences
This is a specialty tour experience and guests are welcome to pick and choose their participation level at stops regarding servings as **alternatives are not provided.**
– If you prefer or have a sensitivity related to gluten (not celiac), vegetarian, nut or seafood please take a look at our Old Port Culinary Walking Tour where you will be able to more fully participate
– If you have a dairy sensitivity or prefer a Vegan diet please contact us directly and we can advise which of our Old Port Culinary Walking Tours MAY be able to accommodate select alternatives
#Makes A Great Outing for Friends, Family and Teams!
– If you’ve got a group of friends, family or co-workers who’d enjoy a taste of the town, we offer this itinerary to groups as a private tour. Just contact us!
Q: What’s the difference between the Tasty Stroll on the East End and the Old Port Culinary Walking Tour?
A: Here’s three main differences
– The Old Port CWT takes place in the Old Port and the Bon Appetite CWT takes place in the East End.
– Alternative servings are not available on the Bon Appetite, where as we work with a select few on the Old Port Tour
– Both tours visit a mx of artisanal shops, restaurants and pubs and involve largely, although not entirely outdoor dining.
Q: Is this tour wheelchair accessible?
A: Portland’s dedication to historic preservation means that many buildings that house our food and beverage partners are small spaces, have narrow doorways, stairs and also we traverse cobblestones, so unfortunately, in general, our tours are not “yet” wheelchair accessible
Q: Is this tour kid-friendly?
A: This tour visits 3 locations serving samples of their beer, mead and sometimes gin. So we would strongly suggest selecting the “Seafood Lovers” or the ” Culinary Walking Tour” where there is a bit less talk of alcoholic beverages. All are served with foods.
Q: May I bring my dog?
A: If you don’t mind taking turns at one indoor location, the remainder of the visit will be dog-friendly.
Q: What is your cancellation policy?
A: You may cancel your tour at any time, but please understand that **refunds are only available if you purchase the tour insurance at $5.99 per ticket.** It must be purchased at the initial time of the sale, it may not be added on after the fact. Refunds with tour insurance allow you to receive a refund UP TO 24 hours prior to the start time of the tour for any reason. There are absolutely no refunds within 24 hours of a tours start time.
Q: What is your refund policy?
A: Please see our cancellation policy for possible refund availability.
- Person All Ages
There is gluten, seafood, poultry, pork, honey, eggs, dairy and more regularly served on this tour as we visit a mix of specialty artisanal shops, restaurants and craft beverage creators. NO alternatives are provided on for this experience except non-alcoholic alternatives if/where possible.
If you have sensitivity or preference related to gluten (not celiac), seafood, nuts or vegetarian we do our best to provide alternatives for these on our Old Port Culinary Walking Tour
All food and beverages curated as part of this tour by Maine Foodie Tours, gratuity at locations and for servers/bartenders and a knowledgeable, local guide.
Gratuity for your guide is excluded, but appreciated when you have a great time!
If you have a group of friends, family, club members or co-workers who’d enjoy a the Bon Appetite Tour as an exclusive experience we offer this itinerary to groups of 8 or more as a private tour.
A: Here are three main differences
- LOCATION: The Old Port CWT takes place in the Old Port and the Bon Appetite CWT takes place in the East End.
- SERVINGS: Alternative servings are not available on the Bon Appetite, whereas we work with a select few on the Old Port Tour.
- STOPS: The Old Port visits a mix of artisanal shops, restaurants and pubs and on the Bon Appetite we visit some of these, but also do more collaborative tastings with drinks at a craft beverage creator combined with food from a neighboring establishment.
- Bon Appetite: Lasts 3 hours, is enough food and beverages to supplement a meal, takes place in the morning
- E.E.A.T.T. – Lasts 2.5 hours, is a happy hour style intended to segue to further wining and dining, takes place in the afternoon
A: Portland’s dedication to historic preservation means that many buildings that house our food and beverage partners are small spaces, have narrow doorways, stairs and also we traverse cobblestones, so unfortunately, in general, our tours are not “yet” wheelchair accessible.
A: This is a family-friendly tour, all ages are welcome! We do not encourage the use of strollers due to the size of many of our food and beverage partners spaces.
A: We love puppers, but legally our partners are not allowed to have pets enter their premises unless they’re official service dogs.
A: Cruise ships disembark typically at the Ocean Gateway [14 Ocean Gateway] or near Casco Bay Lines [56 Commercial St.] and the starting point for this tour is 1 North St. outside of Belleville, for easy google map reference you can add to your phone. It’s appx. a half a mile to the starting point from both of these locations.
Rain, snow and shine we dine! We do offer a “life happens” Tour Insurance option for $5.99 per ticket for the Bon Appetite tour that, if purchased, allows you to cancel your tickets for any reason no later than 24 hours prior to the start time of the tour. You will then be reimbursed for the ticket price (minus the tour insurance and booking fee). This is only available at the time of purchase, you may not add it on after the transaction has been completed. If you purchase the insurance and cancel within 24 hours of the start time of the tour, no refunds are provided.
Please see our cancellation policy, which explains our tour insurance as the only possible option for refunds and the rules regarding this.